Monday 28 March 2011

C'mon now and give them all shhhhh

I usually take to dislike band reunions, as I firmly believe that something that was once glorious was a product of the circumstances in that very moment. To be more exact, I think its important to let things go when it's time to let them go and not try to milk them until they are dry and saggy. It's a matter of accepting the cycle of life. In the case of Death From Above 1979 I have to make an exception to my snobby views as this is truly a band that, I believe, had quite a lot more to give.


I was fortunate enough to stumble across them back in 2004-05 when "You're a Woman, I'm a Machine" was released and I immediately understood that this band was something else in terms of basically everything. The brilliant elephant trunks logo on the pink background was one of the best album covers I had ever seen and the songs where all simply brutally amazing, the lyrics smart and quirky as fuck and the lads looked boss in all of their pictures. I was lucky to see them live on a small show in the Mercury Lounge during that time:


They were bound to be massive, and it came to a point when everyone started to know the name. During this transition into mas popularity, as the snobby cunt i am, I started to follow them less, although I understood this was a band that was destined for glory: they were fuckin savage. Then one day in the blog in their website that Jesse use to update that they were disbanding and though i thought it was a shame I did respect the fact that they call it quits before it all became too shabby.
A few weeks ago I read that they almost caused a riot on SXSW and I immediately relived the excitement and curiosity that they had produced in me when I was a little 20 year old little bitch. Death From Above 1979 is back. Death From Above 1979 is back. Death From Above 1979 is fucking back!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sigh, This makes me so happy. Thank you for writing that.

    -mAQ

    ReplyDelete